Friday, August 24, 2012

Why DO you cut the end off of a Pot Roast?

I was talking to my mom about writing my cookbook and the reasons and all. (I don't want to pass away and my kids regret not having my recipes.)  She told me about a couple of recipes her grandmother used to make and how her mom attempted to make them after she passed, but they just weren't the same. Then she told me the best story I have heard in a long, long time.
My great grandmother had five girls, I think it was. One of her daughters, Helen, as a child liked to  watch her mom in the kitchen cooking. One day, she saw her cut the end off of her pot roast before she put it in the pan to cook. She never asked why. For some reason, that stuck with her. Years later, with a family of her own, Helen made a lot of pot roasts over the years and always cut the end off before she cooked it. Helen's curious daughter, Louise always wondered why she saw her mother do this. So one day she asked her, "Mom, why do you always cut the end off of your roast?" Helen's reply was, "I don't know, that's how my mom always did it!" One day while visiting her grandmother, Louise decided to ask the question, "Grandma, why do you always cut the end off of your pot roast?" Her grandmother looked at her confused, then looked at Helen. Helen said, "Yea, mom, why do you do that?" My mom's great grandma burst out laughing and replied, "I only did that once, because it wouldn't fit in my roasting pan!" Just imagine how many good pieces of roast Helen threw in the garbage over the years because one time as a child her mom's pot roast wouldn't fit in the roasting pan!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment