Friday, August 24, 2012

I'm Writing a Cookbook!

I come from a long line of GREAT Southern Cooks! I also married into a family of GREAT Southern Cooks! (That probably explains our weight problems!) My father in law passed away recently and my mother in law has Alzheimer's. Did any of their seven kids (or spouse's) or way too many grands and great grands to count bother to write down his A-M-A-Z-I-N-G biscuit recipe or any of the wonderful foods he cooked? Before my Great-Grandmother passed, did anyone bother to get her recipes? NO and NO! Why??? These days and times, people are too busy to spend time with the elderly! When they do, they expect the elderly to just make their famous biscuits! (Sadly, I have been in that family for 16 years and ate dozens of his biscuits, so I am included in this!)
My father has always said he was dying soon. Heck, he told me just last week, he was dying! He is 69 years old, swears he won't make 70! (It was quite a shock when the ambulance had to pick him up at 2:30 in the morning the day after he told me this too! He was having a severe allergic reaction to his medication. He is much better and home again now!)
I hate to say I am following in his foot steps with these thoughts, but I sort of am. I have so many fears. One, that I will die before I get a chance to organize my very unorganized pictures. Two, I am in the process of working on. I will die before I get a chance to leave my babies a copy of ALL of my recipes. I hate to sound cocky here, but I am a damn good cook! Until I started writing my cookbook for them, I didn't realize I made so many different dishes, but boy, do I! Of course, I am also adding dishes that I want to try in this cookbook as well!
I pray that the Good Lord will keep me here long enough to see my grands and great grands, and since I am only 34 and my oldest 17, almost old enough to be a mommy herself, maybe I will even get to see some great, great grands! BUT, if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my recipes will live on!

No comments:

Post a Comment